In this short tutorial will explain you how to put iPhone in DFU mode or iPad any model, accept and iPhone 7 or 7 Plus.The DFU mode is the final solution used when there is no other way to resolve the issues on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad. It does not matter if you wish to jailbreak, reverse the jailbreak, update from an expired beta or you are stuck with a problem you cannot fix, the DFU mode or Device Firmware Update is here to help you.
Unlike the Recovery mode, when you enter your iPhone into DFU mode, it still can be used to communicate with iTunes on a computer (both Mac and Windows) with the difference being that it has not activated the boot loader or iOS.
How you can Put iPhone or iPad into DFU mode
- Connect the iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with your computer (MAC or Windows)
- Launch iTunes
- If you already haven’t, turn off your device
- Now, press and hold down the ON/OFF button which if you have iPhone 6 or newer is on the right side while on older iPhones, iPad or iPod on the top for several seconds
- While you still hold down the ON/OFF button, press and hold down the Home button on your device as well
- Now keep holding both buttons for around 10-15 seconds. (in case the Apple Logo is shown, then you have held the buttons for too long and you will need to start the procedure one more time)
- Now let go of the ON/OFF button, however keep holding the Home button for additional 5 seconds. (In case the “Plug into iTunes” screen is shown, then you have held down the button for too long and you will need to start all over again).
- In case the screen stays black then you have succeeded and you have entered your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch into DFU mode
Once the device is into DFU mode, iTunes should send you notification stating that it has detected your iPhone, iPad or iPod and that it will allow you to restore it.
Please note that in case you see any logos on your device, it may be in Recover mode and not in DFU mode. In case the recovery mode works and fixes your issue, then great, but if not then you ought to try to enter into DFU mode one more time.
How to enter your iPhone 7 into DFU mode
You know that the iPhone 7 does not have a physical Home button; instead it has a capacitive Force Touch Home button. Because of this, the DFU mode functionality has moved to the volume down button.
How to Put iPhone 7 into DFU Mode:
- Connect your computer and iPhone 7
- Start iTunes in the meanwhile
- Turn off your iPhone 7
- Press and hold down the ON/OFF button which is on the right side for about 3 seconds
- While holding down the ON/OFF button, press and hold down the volume down button which is on the left side
- Hold both of the buttons for about 10 seconds (in case the Apple logo is shown, then you have held the buttons for too long and you will need to start all over again).
- Let go of the ON/OFF button but continue holding the volume down button for additional 5 seconds (in case the “Plug into iTunes” screen is shown, then you have held the button for too long and you will need to start all over again).
- If the screen remains black, then you have did a good job and entered your iPhone 7 in DFU mode
- The rest of the procedure is completely the same