With HDCP founding its use in many cable boxes, satellite TV Receivers or streaming video hardware, it is no wonder that nowadays most of the content we watch is HDCP compatible. And because of this, sometimes when we connect HDCP standard device, an error such as ERROR: NON-HDCP OUTPUT, HDCP error, or totally blank TV screen occurs.
Unfortunately, the HDCP error can happen on your Apple TV as well. In most of the cases the error is connected to the bad HDMI cable or receiver while in rare cases it may be the faulty switch too.
Regardless of the reason on why the HDCP error shows on your Apple TV, here are a few quick solutions which can help you overcome this problem. If you have Apple Tv 3 and have this problem the have and other option to make Jailbreak on your Apple tv 3 to fix HDCP error.
Check if the HDMI cable is stable or try to Turn off the Apple TV and receiver
- Quickly unplug/plug in the HDMI cable
- Shut down the Apple TV and turn of the reliever. Unplug the Apple TV from the power socket
- After a few minutes plug in the cable back in the power socket and turn on the Apple TV and the receiver
- Check if you have selected the HDMI input that is compatible with the HDMI port connected to the Apple TV
- In some cases the receiver or HDMI switch may be the reason for the issue. Check this by connecting the Apple TV directly to your TV set.
- Try using a different cable to see if this will fix the problem
- Adjust the HDMI settings. Go to SettingsàAudio and Video to do this
Try restoring your Apple TV to the original factory settings
If the previous method did not help you at all, then perhaps a good old factory restore may do the trick.
- Go to Settings – System – Reset
- Choose the reset option
- Reset option that allows you to do rest without internet connection
- Reset and Update—with this option your Apple TV will be reset back to the original factory settings and all the software updates will be installed using internet connection
- Choose the option it suits your needs the best
Try restoring your Apple TV via iTunes
Another useful method is to do iTunes restore of your Apple TV. In order to do this, you will have to download the newest iTunes version, an USB-Connection cable of the 4th generation of Apple TV or Micro USB cable for the 3rd Generation or older models of Apple TV and of course a good internet connection.
- Unplug the HDMI cable and power cord from the Apple TV.
- Start iTunes on your computer
- Connect the USB-C cable on the back of your Apple TV (4th generation). If you have 2nd or 3rd generation Apple TV, use Micro USB cable instead and connect them to the back of the USB port on your computer. (if you have 2nd generation Apple TV, then leave it unplugged)
- Open the summary page in iTunes
- Click on Restore Apple TV
- After the restore process is finished, disconnect the USB-C and the power cord.
- Reconnect the HDMI cable and the power cord back to your Apple TV
Other possible methods
In case none of the methods above has helped you fix the HDCP error showing on your Apple TV, then you should try to contact Apple’s support center due to the problem lying somewhere else or being of technical nature.
Has our methods helped you fix your issue? Please share your experience in the comment section bellow.