Bitter gourd, also known as bitter squash or bitter melon, contains anti-diabetic property.
It contains three active compounds such as vicine, polypeptide-p, and charatin, that make it effective for managing your blood sugar levels. These active compounds help your cells take up sugar molecules, thereby increasing insulin secretion, stimulating the liver and muscle glycogen synthesis, and reducing glucose absorption in the body.
But, despite bitter gourd being beneficial for diabetes, many people find its bitter taste unpalatable. You can still get its benefits by mixing it with other ingredients.
You can try some bitter gourd juice recipes such as the 3 recipes below, where the taste of bitter gourd can be made more tolerable with the flavours of other diabetic-friendly fruits and vegetables.
Bitter Gourd Juice Recipes for Diabetics:
1. Bitter Gourd with Apple
- 2 medium-sized chopped Bitter melons
- 1 chopped Apple
- ½ cup chopped Baby spinach
- ½ Lime
- ½ teaspoon Roasted cumin powder
- ¼ cup Grapes
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- Soak the chopped bitter melons in salt water for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Toss the bitter melons into the blender.
- Ad the spinach, chopped apple, and grapes.
- Give it a good spin.
- Pour the smoothie into a glass.
- Squeeze in the juice of 1/2 lime, roasted cumin powder and pink Himalayan salt.
- Stir well before drinking.
2. Bitter Gourd with Turmeric Juice
This is another easy and fast way to make bitter gourd juice. This juice contains a strong bitter taste, but, you cannot ignore the flavour of turmeric in it.
- 2 Bitter gourds
- ½ Lemon
- ½ teaspoon Salt (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
Wash and peel the bitter gourds.
Chop and deseed into smaller pieces.
Add ½ teaspoon salt in a bowl of water, then soak the chopped bitter gourd for at least 10 minutes.
Put the bitter gourd in a juicer, then extract the juice.
Add the turmeric powder, lemon juice, and a pinch of Himalayan salt to the juice.
Drink this juice once a day on an empty stomach to keep your blood sugar level under control.
3. Bitter Gourd with Cucumber Juice
This simple and easy-to-make juice is bitter and slightly sweet in taste.
- 2 large Bitter gourds
- 1 medium Cucumber
- 1 Green apple
- ½ Lemon
- ½ teaspoon of salt (optional)
- Wash the bitter gourds, then peel the skin off.
- Vertically slice the bitter gourds, remove the seeds and rind with the use of a spoon or knife. Then chop the bitter gourds into small pieces.
- Soak the pieces of bitter gourd in a bowl of water for 10 minutes. Or, you can add ½ teaspoon of salt to the water.
- Peel the cucumber and cut into pieces.
- Slice the green apple into small pieces.
- Place the green apple, bitter gourd, and cucumber in a juicer to extract the juice.
- Add the juice of ½ lemon.
- Drink once daily on an empty stomach to help control your blood sugar level.